Tuesday 30 August 2011

Reflections (Session 1)

The first session started off with looking for the 99th letter in the name. This question rings a bell and brought vivid memories of how I used to skip this question or answer it randomly during school days. such "logic" question was neither my cup of tea or forte. Amazingly, during the lesson, it was "discovered" that there were more than 1 solution to this question... yet, on the contrary, I also learnt that there is no one full-proof method at a single glance. After "finding" the solution, the method adopted still had to be proven to be ensured of its "sure-work method". I learnt that the crux of solving the question is to observe and identify the pattern involved.

In the first session, I also learnt about the different uses of numbers:
  • cardinal
  • nominal
  • identity
  • measurement
I also learnt about the appropriate terms to address the children knowledge on numbers such as "rote counting" and "rationale counting".

In the first session, I also gained a better understanding in the preschoolers' pre-requisites to counting:
  • sort (classify)
  • ability to rote count
  • appreciate that the last number utterance is the answer
  • 1-1 correspondence
On the whole, my favourite activity was the use of poker cards in spelling numerals 1 to 9 in words which I found fascinating and refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment