Tuesday 30 August 2011

Reflections (Session 2)

In the second session, "subitize" was the new term taught which meant "small numbers". I learnt about differentiated instructions catering to the different learning needs of the preschoolers.

When we came to the topic on multiplication, it was common knowledge that a multiplication table exists... BUT... it did not occur why did an addition table not occur...AND YET... wow... we can all do addition in a blinking of an eye without having to worry about "tables". From this, I gained an understanding that the

"LEARNING PRINCIPLE IS NOT TEACHING THE ABSTRACT"

Additionally, I also learned an important factor:

"TEACHING CHILDREN TO CORRECT THEMSELVES BY LETTING THEM CORRECT THEMSELVES"

Generally, I picked up the main ideas about math:
  1. meta-cognition
  2. communication
  3. number sense
  4. visualization
  5. generalization
However, I am feeling skeptical over a point after session 1 and 2 after having gained an exposure in various math sums and their solutions... it seems to me that almost all solutions to the questions boil to a factor... PATTERNING???

No comments:

Post a Comment